Sunday 18 February 2018

February fever

Not the best of running months what with gastric flu and last week's training being interrupted with a dose of flu.  I don't think I've ever had a month where I've been ill so much, but at least this illness explains why I felt so rubbish at the Valentine's 30K as it was probably already in my system waiting to strike.

So after the 30K I had a short recovery run on the Monday and Tuesday, but felt pretty rubbish.  I just thought I'd worked a bit harder than expected.  Wednesday I didn't run as just felt awful and the weather was dismal.  There was a time bad weather would not have deterred me from a run, but these days I'm just not as committed so if I feel rubbish and the weather matches how I feel then the best place is in the warmth snuggled up on the sofa.  However, Thursday I was determined to put a solid run in and although I'd been sneezing and had a bit of a headache I enjoyed a social 10 miles.  Although this was to be what then brought out the full virus...

Friday morning I woke with a tight throat that was sore on one side and head like I had a hangover, but it was the last day of work before half term so I dragged myself in and it was such a struggle to get through.  I felt tetchy, ill and feverish all day.  Stupid going in really... Sometimes you think you can fight illness off, but realistically once you have a virus it has to run its course!  I was feeling annoyed too as I'd planned to have a really good running week in half term with a marathon for a training run at the end of it!  Now it all looked in jeopardy... Having shivered my way through Friday evening, I again got up early to go to parkrun, but having done a gentle run before it I knew there was no way I was going to do it. In fact I was stupid to even do the 3 miles easy before as I had a temperature and was feeling awful.  When I got home I was shivering uncontrollably with a pounding headache and a throat like broken glass.  I so hate being ill.

Sunday morning I felt slightly better, but no way able to run as I now developed a hacking cough, which made me want to cry with the pain in the back of my throat.  To get out of the sick bed John and I took a drive over to watch the Wombwell 5 and I took some photos, but that's about all the energy I had for the day.

Then this last week, which was my half term saw any plans of big miles disappear, in fact it saw plans of any miles disappear.  I'm stubborn old mule and so did try and run a mile on Tuesday, but oh boy that was such a bad idea as my throat and lungs were in such pain I could've cried with it!  So back to bed, which was now being shared by a sick John too.  For the rest of the week we both shivered and coughed and moped around.  Thankfully the fever broke and we started to see signs of improvement by the end of the week.  Both of us were determined to try and have a normal weekend before the return to work, which meant choosing a parkrun.

Saturday saw us head over to Hull for the Humber Bridge parkrun, which is all off road on a nice trail surface and being snuggled in trees provides a bit of protection from any harsh winds.  We ran together at a steady pace coughing our way through 25 minutes, but felt good to be doing something normal!


Having got through the parkrun with just  a bit of coughing Sunday's long run was on!  I'd already sold my marathon place for the Slaithwaite Slog as just knew I'd not be up for that, but nothing stopping a steady out and back on the TPT.  So this morning we set off meeting long time training partner and friend Simon at Oxspring with 15 miles in mind.  I would just be happy to finish the run so wasn't bothered about pace.  However, the pace was not that bad considering how ill I'd been and I'd only eaten a yogurt and banana for breakfast.  So goal complete 15 miles at 8:48 average and a low 125 bpm HR.  Again coughed through quite a bit of it and afterwards, but it was worth it to be back doing what we love on a Sunday! 

Bring of the next few weeks with so many plans of races and weekends away and hopefully some decent training in the bank!   Oh and just a few days left before I get an extra boost in age grading...  

Elevation
569ft
Calories
0
Elapsed Time
2:15:27
Garmin Forerunner 235
Shoes:

No comments:

Post a Comment

February fever

Not the best of running months what with gastric flu and last week's training being interrupted with a dose of flu.  I don't think I...