Sunday 11 February 2018

Stamford Valentine's 30K

Having had a bit of a miserable long run last Sunday over 20 miles.  We decided to try and get numbers for the Valentine's 30K as it's sometimes easier to do a paced training run in a group.  We've entered the next stage of our training, which is to build leg strength and the 30K is very undulating so perfect for working those muscles.  When John looked the race was full, so he contacted the organiser who said there was a waiting list, but he was pretty sure we'd get a place. This was on the Monday and we had a confirmed place by the Thursday.  I was looking forward to it as I remember enjoying it back in 2007 when John and I ran the fastest combined times to be the Valentine's couple.  Him in 1:55:09 and me in 2:08:53.  Okay we were both much fitter back then, but it still felt nice to go back and run it again and as I had no intention of racing it I thought it would be a nice comfortable way to get the miles in...

Looking at the forecast on Saturday evening I was a bit concerned that it was saying 41 mph winds, but having paid £50 for both of us only a few days previous there was no way we weren't going to not run!  So kit was chosen on Saturday night and John decided he would run with me for the first half and see how he felt.  He was just after a solid training run too, so brilliant the Valentine's couple of 2007 were going to at least run part of the course together. 

It was to be an early start as Stamford is about 80 miles from Penistone.  Breakfast was the customary porridge, which I dislike by the way!  It's just I know it's good for giving energy for long runs, so I forced it down thinking give me my Yogurt or Weetabix any day!  John did all the driving and we arrived with plenty of time to collect numbers, go to the loo several times, sit in the car and relax, talk to Martin Hall and Gail Hall before a short warm up on the school field.  Running around the field the wind was a little fierce, but the sun was out and we both thought it's not that bad it could be so much worse and certainly didn't seem as bad as the forecast.


Warm ups are great for helping you to decide what to wear when the weather isn't great.  I certainly didn't want to wear just my vest as much too cold and the initial 2 long tops, a buff, head band and gloves felt a bit too warm, so just before we headed to the start the second long sleeved top came off and I settled for a long sleeve compression top under my vest.  After the first few miles the gloves came off as my hands always get too warm, so I spent the next 15 miles carrying them.

I was hoping to run around 8.30 m/m for the first half and then pick up to run around 8 m/m for the second half, which I felt was doable.  What I'd forgotten from the last time I did it was how hilly it was!  I set off and probably, no not probably, I did run too quick, which is not like me as I'm pretty good at running evenly.  I didn't realise at the time though until hill after hill started to sap my legs.  I couldn't believe how many ups and downs were coming at us.  Surely this isn't the course I ran 2:08 on was my thoughts, but it sure was and my mind had not remembered any of it!  Anyway John was comfortable beside me and I didn't say anything to him, but my legs were starting to feel weak.  I took a gel hoping for a boost, but when we hit a pretty hefty climb at 7 miles and into a nasty headwind I said I'm struggling here.  He encourage me to ease back on the hill, but even with easing back I could feel my heart rate rising and a look at my watch confirmed it was too high at 152 for the pace.  I ploughed on and felt awful with stomach ache and a mild stitch.  At around 9 miles I had an overwhelming urge to stop and walk.  I went to double over with lack of energy and my Valentine partner said "come on we don't walk in races".  It did the trick as I carried on but at a slightly slower pace.  To be fair John was great, he even gave me his gels and refused to run on as was the plan at the start.
Together we kept going on the roller coaster of a course and although I didn't set out to race it, I was feeling a little irritated by the number of women that were passing me.  I took both John's gels at 10 miles and 14 miles and these seemed to give me a second wind.  I wasn't by any means feeling great and the legs were aching far more than they should, but I did pick the pace back up again for the final 10k and went past some of the women that had floated past me when I was struggling.   The final few miles couldn't come fast enough and although the marshals were fantastic in their enthusiasm I was not feeling the love on this Valentine's run to offer too much of a smile.  The finish was nasty with a lap of the school playing field into a cold headwind, don't you just hate these kinds of finish!  I wasn't bothered by what time I finished in, which was 2:35 for the record, just relieved it was all over!  Oh the joys of running!

So what went wrong?

1.  Not enough training on undulated tarmac routes.
2. Set off a bit too fast!
3. Probably still not 100% after the virus.
4. Resting heartrate a bit high.

The race itself is fantastically organised and a substantial goody bag and long sleeved t-shirt.  However, it's a tough course on constant rolling hills and next time, if I do it again, I'll be ready for it!

This 'race' came at the end of another solid week where I've covered 2 x 10 miles and lots of shorter runs to make 60 miles.  Onwards and upwards!







No comments:

Post a Comment

February fever

Not the best of running months what with gastric flu and last week's training being interrupted with a dose of flu.  I don't think I...